From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] USE flags and stages 1 and 2
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 22:26:53
1 On Mon, 2005-10-31 at 16:59 -0500, Michael Crute wrote:
2 > I REALLY dislike the idea of eliminating stage1 tarballs. I am
3 > personally very picky about my system and what gets installed and from
4 > my point of view installing from a stage3 is as bad as installing
5 > Fedora. Plus it would be a real pain in the butt to have to go
6 > backwards, installing a bunch of stuff up front and then going back by
7 > hand and removing it. I do share Ed's sentiments about stage2 though,
8 > you could eliminate those as I don't see much point to them. You
9 > either want it all or you want the bare minimum, I want the bare
10 > minimum.
11
12 Read my response to him to see why you're not saving yourself any time
13 or work.
14
15 > Another thought is release the tarballs but do not support anyone with
16 > problems doing a stage1 install. If you are brave enough to attempt
17 > it, you go it alone.
18
19 This was one of my original options, stated in my first email. The only
20 issue with this is it still causes a great burden on the developers that
21 are responsible for release bugs. We are severely overworked when
22 release time comes around, and having things such as a stage1 which
23 essentially allows a user to completely bypass all of our QA is a
24 logistical nightmare.
25
26 Choice be damned, if you can't ever get Gentoo on your system, who cares
27 if you got to make a few *choices* or not?
28
29 The removal of a stage1 tarball does not remove *any* choice from the
30 user doing the installation. Anyone who tells you otherwise does not
31 know what they are talking about.
32
33 It *does* however guarantee that you have a minimal working system of
34 known quality with which to do your installation from, rather than a
35 completely hacked and limited functionality minimal environment designed
36 only to support the building of a minimal working system.
39 Chris Gianelloni
40 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
41 x86 Architecture Team
42 Games - Developer