From: Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] 2004.2 planning
Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 20:21:50
1 On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 15:04, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > On Sunday 02 May 2004 21:49, John Davis wrote:
3 > > Devs,
4 > > I very much like this idea - I think that a LiveCD release for each
5 > > cycle is a bit too ambitious, especially with regard to how many bugs
6 > > they field. The only thing that we would have to negotiate is the
7 > > universal CD which contains distfiles and stages for a networkless
8 > > installation. We could discuss through that at a later date though
9 > > (2005.x integration if we decide upon it).
10 >
11 > Maybe the livecd could be partially updated: new stages and GRP packages, but
12 > the other parts the same. This would stop most bugs.
13 >
14 > Paul
15
16 Yeah, this would be great. Our livecd is the first thing users see when
17 they first try installing Gentoo. If it appears to have any sort of bugs
18 on it, they start to lose faith in the distro at a very early stage.
19 Minimizing bugs on the livecd should be very important because of this
20 (of course, stages, grp packages should have minimal bugs as well).
21 Perhaps, if there are known issues that couldn't be resolved before a
22 release (we should always fix a bug before a release if possible), maybe
23 we should have a message right after the prompt comes up that states
24 something about the bug. I know it would be better to just fix the darn
25 thing, but the more information we give to our issues about known
26 problems, the better! It also minimizes on dup'ed bugs.
29 Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
30 Gentoo Infrastructure
31
32 ---
33 GPG Public Key: <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc>
34 Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1 4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742
35
36 ramereth/irc.freenode.net