From: "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] USE flags and stages 1 and 2
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 21:44:12
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2
3 >I'm starting to get more and more bugs from users whom have decided,
4 >against the recommendation of those of us in Release Engineering, to do
5 >a stage1 or stage2 installation using their custom USE flags, and
6 >finding that their installation is unable to complete properly. The
7 >problem stems from more and more packages adding more and more USE
8 >flags. We already recommend that all users perform a stage3
9 >installation, but this doesn't appear to be enough to resolve the
10 >problem. What it really boils down to is the inability for us to test
11 >with all of the possible USE flag combinations and ever get a release
12 >out the door.
13 >
14 >As it stands, I only see a few options, none of which sound very good:
15 >
16 >1. Only release stage3 tarballs
17 >2. Inform users that only stage3 will be supported
18 >3. Change the documentation to recommend users not change USE flags
19 >until after the completion of "emerge -e system"
20 >
21 >In pretty much every case, the real answer is "quit using stage1 if you
22 >don't know what you're doing" but unfortunately, we're going to get the
23 >pointless "but Gentoo is about choice" "argument" that really has no
24 >bearing on the truth of what is Gentoo. Gentoo is *not* about choice.
25 >Gentoo is about empowering the user to make the system as he sees fit.
26 >This means there is a certain expectation that when you start fiddling
27 >with stuff, you're going to pick up the pieces on your own. At any
28 >rate, the problem is only going to get worse as more and more USE flags
29 >are added.
30 >
31 >What can we do to curb this problem?
34 Well ... at one time, Gentoo *was* about choice, but it's evolved to
35 being about quality IMHO. As long as you're willing to make all the
36 stage3 tarballs required, I see no reason to continue to support stage1
37 installs. The past couple of installs I did were stage1 -- I wanted to
38 see how long it took, among other things. And I've never done a stage2
39 ... I've never seen the point in it.
40
41 So my recommendation would be to eliminate stage1 and stage2 and just do
42 stage3 installs. They're a lot faster too -- I think getting through
43 stage1, stage2 and stage3 took about 6 hours on a 1 GHz P3, hardly a
44 productive use of time. I think you might want to put a few more goodies
45 in stage3, though -- vim for sure, and niceties like ufed, esearch,
46 slocate, genkernel and grub at a minimum. When I do an install, the
47 things I *always* bring in, whether desktop or server are:
48
49 vim grub metalog vixie-cron slocate coldplug hotplug gentoo-sources
50 genkernel ntp
51 zip unzip esearch gentoolkit rkhunter chkrootkit sysstat procinfo
52 mirrorselect ufed
57 M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
58
59 http://linuxcapacityplanning.com