From: "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o, Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Workaround for stage1 failures introduced with portage-2.3.19-r1
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2018 22:44:29
1 On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 8:57 PM, Ben Kohler <bkohler@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 12:54 PM, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto
3 > <jmbsvicetto@g.o> wrote:
4 >> I believe there was some misunderstanding about my comment.
5 >> I meant I prefer to add to our /etc/portage/package.keywords an entry
6 >> for a portage version with this issue fixed.
7 >> Per Zac's comment above, I'll do that for portage2.3.21.
8 >>
9 >> Thanks,
10 >> Jorge.
13 > You're going to ship unstable portage in stage3 just to avoid adding a
14 > temporary portage config that users won't even see?
15
16 AFAICS, the real solution here is not to try to play "whac-a-mole",
17 but to get a consistent resolution by portage - which requires using a
18 version that is currently unstable (pending stabilization at a later
19 date).
20
21 Zac,
22 do you foresee any issue with users getting a downgrade from 2.3.21 to
23 the latest stable? At that point, the virtual providers were already
24 picked, so they shouldn't be affected by this issue. Are there any
25 features on 2.3.21 that may cause "regressions" is users end up
26 downgrading to the current latest stable?
27
28 > That seems questionable, but I guess if it gets autobuilds back on
29 > track, it's something.
30 >
31 > -Ben