From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: davisjp@×××.edu
Cc: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Release Dates, etc
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 16:48:56
On Wed, 2004-01-21 at 04:42, John Davis wrote:
> I would like to push back the release date for 2004.0 from January 22 to > February 7. The reason for doing this is so that we can get proper > testing in for livecds, GRP, etc. There is no reason to kill ourselves > to get everything out of the door by the 22nd. > > On February 7, I am going to recommend that all arch leads snap the > Portage tree for release of 2004.0. As always, if you do not feel ready > to release, don't worry about it. Just snap when you can - our main > concern is quality.
"Release date" means when we release to the public. You seem to be talking about a "snapshot date," the purpose of which is to give everyone on the project a cutoff date to be guaranteed that their changes to the tree get into the official 2004.0 release. All arches would snapshot on the 7th or later. If we do official snaps on the 7th+, this would allow us to do building/QA and release in late February, which to me seems like a reasonable an non-rushed timeframe. I think this would actually work well, if this is what you meant. Regards, Daniel -- gentoo-releng@g.o mailing list