From: Pieter Van den Abeele <pvdabeel@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Cc: Pieter Van den Abeele <pvdabeel@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] 2004.2 planning
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 20:05:52
1 On 30 Apr 2004, at 21:39, John Davis wrote:
2
3 > Every release up to 2004.1 was late and broken; 1.4 was almost
4 > vaporware and 2004.0 was
5 > late.
6
7 I would like to point out that ppc did more than 10 different _rc
8 releases for the 1.4 cds, while waiting for x86 to be completed :-)
9
10 1.4 went broken when apple published broken firmware, incompatible with
11 the kernel
12 2004.0 was broken because upstream ppc kernels were broken. (2.6.5
13 finally fixed it).
14
15 > We accomplished something that has never been done with Gentoo
16 > before, and I see that as something to be proud of (not to say that we
17 > have an enormous amount of room to improve).
18
19 true
20
21 > Let's ditch the preliminary release requirement then. I would much
22 > rather have QA and testing over a prelim release. Will this work?
23
24 sure
25
26 > You need to open a dialog with plasmaroo on this one. Genkernel,
27 > although used by releng, is not maintained by releng. Perhaps at some
28 > point it can be in the future, but at this point in time, it is up to
29 > you to get on plasmaroo to fix the problems.
30
31 Genkernel works ok for catalyst. But the initrd complicates things for
32 users just trying to build a working kernel for a new install.
33
34 >> Preferably as few as possible. >EXAMS<
35 >
36 > In July, yeesh ...
37
38 june and aug for me.