From: "François Bissey" <f.r.bissey@×××××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] sage-notebook & jmol
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 20:52:53
1 > Hello,
2 >
3 > I believe Jmol is the default Sage 3D viewer. However, it seems to be
4 > broken from the notebook. A
5 >
6 > sphere()
7 >
8 > from the sage prompt works as expected but not so from the notebook.
9 > Here I get that the problem is in locating the JmolApplet class. It
10 > appears that sagenb is coded to look in the data directory under sagenb
11 > for package data, i.e. relative to the python tree in
12 > site-packages/sagenb/data. After opening the notebook the contents of
13 > the directory can be viewed by pointing one's browser to
14 >
15 > http://localhost:8000/java/
16 >
17 > In particular the notebook seems to look in
18 > site-packages/sagenb/data/jmol for the JmolApplet class data which was
19 > removed with the advent of the sage-on-gentoo package,
20 > sci-chemistry/jmol. Now here I'm able to get Jmol to work from the
21 > notebook if I create either of the symlinks,
22 >
23 > site-packages/sagenb/data/jmol ->
24 > /usr/share/webapps/jmol/11.6.16/htdocs
25 > or
26 > site-packages/sagenb/data/jmol -> /var/www/localhost/htdocs/jmol
27 >
28 > There should be a better way to do this but I'm unable to find a way to
29 > get the sagenb package to access external data other than through a
30 > symlink. If the first of the above is done then a version bump of jmol
31 > will require a new sage-notebook install! There is also an "appletweb"
32 > directory that's present under sagenb/data/jmol and I was curious as to
33 > whether it's needed? Is it perhaps a carry-over from the older
34 > Sage-provided jmol stuff?
35 >
36 Hi,
37
38 My fault completely. We noticed about a month ago that jmol was broken
39 and I started to work on fixing it. I had troubles and hadn't find a good
40 solution at the time.
41 Then I more or less forgot. You are putting it back on the top of my
42 priorities here.
43
44 Francois