From: "Andrey G. Grozin" <A.G.Grozin@×××××××.su>
To: "Marcus D. Hanwell" <cryos@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] website python error
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 08:52:03
1 On Fri, 15 Sep 2006, Marcus D. Hanwell wrote:
2 > On Friday 15 September 2006 08:50, Andrey G. Grozin wrote:
3 > > On Thu, 14 Sep 2006, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
4 > > > Pretty sure they're not interested in linking to external overlays. If
5 > > > you want a link, and to save some time on maintenance and future
6 > > > breakage, it might be easier to just migrate to their hosting.
7 > > I think this is an excellent idea. First-class inofficial overlays live at
8 > > overlays.gentoo.org; we want the same status, we don't want to be second-
9 > > (or third-) class.
10 >
11 > I think this statement is incorrect about first or second class overlays.
12 > According to their own FAQs that is not the case. My own personal belief says
13 > it certainly is not that case. To make a more reasoned case you have to ask
14 > what the actual benefits of a move might be, i.e. bigger admin team, more
15 > widely used/tested, shiny gentoo.org domain ending...
16 >
17 > But like I said in my last response if the overall opinion is to move I will
18 > make the subversion repo backup available for migration of the overlay. I set
19 > it up as a service for the Gentoo scientific community before any of this was
20 > available as we were sick of waiting for it to appear... Now it has may be
21 > the overlay would be better there. I am not sure - I doubt it would hurt
22 > though...
23 Suppose I am a Gentoo user, and I want to try some new package (or a
24 bleeding-edge version) which is not in the main tree. I search the Gentoo
25 website for links to some experimental overlays (something like rpmforge
26 and freshrpms in the RedHat world). And aha! I find overlays.gentoo.org
27 (and nothing else). If the package I want is in one of the overlays there,
28 I am happy. If not, I am stuck.
29
30 In other words, overlays.gentoo.org lives on the Gentoo continent;
31 gentooscience.org is an island in the middle of nowhere.
32
33 Andrey
34 --
35 gentoo-science@g.o mailing list