From: "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] lapack 3.0? (rkward)
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 15:18:26
1 Honza Macháèek wrote:
2 > On 26.02.2007 01:38, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
3 >
4 >> I'm a little curious about something ... does "rkward" actually require
5 >> an external Lapack, or is this optional? The reason I ask is that R
6 >> itself *contains* a copy of Lapack, and the R developers have deprecated
7 >> linking against external Lapack libraries!
10 > I think I recall some discussion at the bugzilla to the point that all
11 > multimedia packages that compile their own libraries instead of linking
12 > to external ones should be hardmasked, allegedly for the sake of
13 > maintainability. Moreover in my mailbox I've found an old discussion
14 > (28. 8. 2006) of Freemat 2.0 and problems with its dependency on matio,
15 > when accidentally I myself called to attention that Freemat sources
16 > contained their own copy of the matio library, and Andrey G. Grozin
17 > dismissed the option of using them rather fiercely, reasoning:
20 >> This goes against modularity, *the* fundamental principle of any good
21 >> Linux distribution.
22 >>
23 Well, here's the logic of the R developers (from
24 http://cran.fhcrc.org/doc/manuals/R-admin.html):
27 "A.3.2 LAPACK
28
29 Provision is made for using an external LAPACK library, principally to
30 cope with BLAS libraries which contain a copy of LAPACK (such as
31 |libsunperf| on Solaris, |vecLib| on Mac OS X and ACML on
32 `ix86'/`x86_64' Linux). However, the likely performance gains are
33 thought to be small (and may be negative), and the default is not to
34 search for a suitable LAPACK library, and this is definitely *not*
35 recommended.
36
37 [snip]
38
39 "For problems compiling LAPACK using recent versions of |gcc| on `ix86'
40 Linux, see New platforms
41 <http://cran.fhcrc.org/doc/manuals/R-admin.html#New-platforms>: these
42 problems have surfaced in Fedora Core 3's distribution, for example.
43
44 "Please *do* bear in mind that using --with-lapack is `definitely *not*
45 recommended': it is provided *only* because it is necessary on some
46 platforms."
47
48 In any event, when I have beta-tested R releases on my Athlon Thunderbird, when I use the "with-lapack" option and link R with the external Atlas LAPACK I get many failures in the "make check-all" pass. These don't happen when I just use the Atlas BLAS, so I don't use the external LAPACK with R.
49 --
50 M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, FBG, AB, PTA, PGS, MS, MNLP, NST, ACMC(P)
51 http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/
52
53 If God had meant for carrots to be eaten cooked, He would have given rabbits fire.
56 gentoo-science@g.o mailing list