From: "Honza Macháček" <Hloupy.Honza@×××××××.cz>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] lapack 3.0? (rkward)
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 08:13:13
1 On 26.02.2007 01:38, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
2 > I'm a little curious about something ... does "rkward" actually require
3 > an external Lapack, or is this optional? The reason I ask is that R
4 > itself *contains* a copy of Lapack, and the R developers have deprecated
5 > linking against external Lapack libraries!
6
7 I think I recall some discussion at the bugzilla to the point that all
8 multimedia packages that compile their own libraries instead of linking
9 to external ones should be hardmasked, allegedly for the sake of
10 maintainability. Moreover in my mailbox I've found an old discussion
11 (28. 8. 2006) of Freemat 2.0 and problems with its dependency on matio,
12 when accidentally I myself called to attention that Freemat sources
13 contained their own copy of the matio library, and Andrey G. Grozin
14 dismissed the option of using them rather fiercely, reasoning:
15
16 > This goes against modularity, *the* fundamental principle of any good
17 > Linux distribution.
18
19 Anyway, lapack dependence in a frontend to an actual computation
20 package looks rather suspiciously. Having tried to remove the lapack
21 dependence from the rkward ebuild did not reveal anything, of course,
22 when I have lapack-atlas installed. So I grepped the rkward sources case
23 insensitively for lapack -- since it appears only as R_LAPACK_FLAG,
24 libRlapack.* and -lRlapack, I think the package really uses algebra
25 libraries only through R.
26 I checked the rkward dependencies in its INSTALL file -- looks like
27 those in the ebuild (>=x11-libs/qt-3.3.4, >=kde-base/kdelibs-3.4.1) are
28 too restrictive, the INSTALL file says only ``KDE-libraries and headers
29 (>= 3.x)'' and ``Qt-libraries and headers (>= 3.x)''. On the other hand,
30 the rkward INSTALL file claims dependency on R shared library and PHP
31 comand line interface, so the ebuild probably should test whether PHP
32 has CLI installed (the R shared library is always installed by the R
33 ebuild). Unfortunately this is the point where my knowledge of Gentoo
34 portage reaches its limits, so I cannot try such modification to the ebuild.
35
36 Experimenting, I tried to dispose of all the src_*() functions, but
37 then the ebuild failed to actually install any files to my system;
38 nevertheless src_unpack() probably is excessive. At least on my computer
39 the ebuild installed without it.
40
41 With best regards
42 Honza Macháèek