From: Neil Shephard <nshephard@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] G-CRAN weekly report #6
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 22:16:14
1 On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 7:50 PM, Auke Booij <auke@××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Alright, discarding dependencies. Some (a lot of) CRAN-style packages
4 > depend on libraries which already get installed as part of the R
5 > program. These dependencies should, for our purposes anyway, simply be
6 > discarded, but to do this I do need to know what libraries are part of
7 > the default R install, which means listing R's files, and I'd like you
8 > guys to tell me how to do this. As far as I can see, the following are
9 > the options and I'd like to hear which you would prefer:
10 > -use "qlist" or "equery files"
11 > -read it from the vdb
12 > -hardcode the list of builtin R libraries
13 > -read it from the filesystem directly (note: this would mean that some
14 > correct dependencies are discarded as well, but it is a very
15 > lightweight and independent solution)
16 > Pros, cons? Opinions wanted!
17
18 Whilst the core libraries don't change that frequently I think
19 hard-coding is a bad idea, so doing it dynamically would be best IMO,
20 of course if this takes a long time its undesirable so something that
21 is dynamic and quick, but perhaps most importantly works.
22
23 Which of those that is I counted really tell you though, sorry.
24
25 Keep up the good work,
26
27 Neil
30 "... no scientific worker has a fixed level of significance at which
31 from year to year, and in all circumstances, he rejects hypotheses; he
32 rather gives his mind to each particular case in the light of his
33 evidence and his ideas." - Sir Ronald A. Fisher (1956)
34
35 Email - nshephard@×××××.com
36 Website - http://slack.ser.man.ac.uk/
37 Photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/slackline/