From: Benjamin Sobotta <mayday@×××.net>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] MPI and multicore + lib question
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 02:04:53
1 On Thursday 11 January 2007 16:46, Alessandro Yoshi Polliotti wrote:
2 > I hope I'm not asking anything too obvious but I wasn't able to find
3 > relevant information online.
4 >
5 > I have installed apbs enabling mpi, it works but it detects only one cpu in
6 > my core duo system. Strictly speaking it's correct, but not quite what I
7 > expected. I would like to know more about this behaviour, is it due to my
8 > misconfiguration of apbs, mpi, kernel or other factors?
9 >
10 > Besides this, trying to make apbs detect my two cores I tried also mpich2
11 > and lam-mpi as mpi implementations. Using both of them and recompiling
12 > maloc apbs will complain that maloc has not been compiled with mpi support,
13 > and will keep mpi out of the build process. maloc however doesn't print any
14 > warning.
15 >
16 > Thanks in advance
17 >
18 > --
19 > "Because while the truncheon may be used in lieu of conversation, words
20 > will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for
21 > those who will listen, the annunciation of truth."
22 > V for Vendetta
23
24 Hey!
25
26 This may be slightly OT, and I dont know apbs, but are you sure that MPI is
27 what you need? To my knowledge, MPI is for distributed computing, i.e. when
28 you have several nodes to do calculating work.
29
30 As far as I understand you only have one computer. Wouldn't some shared memory
31 parallel implementation like OpenMP make more sense? You might want to check
32 if your application is multithreaded. If it is, and you're just using one
33 machine it should already use both cores available in your system. No need
34 for MPI in this case.
35
36 Cheers,
37