From: Markus Dittrich <markusle@g.o>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] Gentoo science status
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 02:34:24
1 Hi Sébastien,
2
3 Thanks for the nice summary of the current state
4 of affairs.
7 > We also need to know whether we still want a leader. Some time ago
8 > the question was raised, but got no definite answer.
9
10 I think if we decide that we want a leader we should clearly
11 define what we expect her/him to do. We're a very diverse
12 bunch and the packages in science.g.o span a wide range of
13 fields so I am not 100% convinced that a lead will necessarily
14 be very effective. On the other hand, there are a few things
15 that definitely need improvement, documentation and eclasses
16 being some candidates here, and it might be nice to have somebody
17 who feels responsible and coordinates/delegates a bit. I'd
18 probably need a nudge once in a while ;)
19
20 > * Documentation:
21 > We need to revamp our project documentation. I started some doc in
22 > our overlay [1] long time ago, but feel free to update, propose
23 > patches or rewrite it entirely if you don't like it. Denis had some
24 > electronics docs in his site, so we could also merge it. A wiki would
25 > be very nice, but first it would be worth checking how many people are
26 > actually using Gentoo for science.
27
28 Better docs are definitely something we need. It would probably be
29 good to either have a dev or maybe one of our users assess and then
30 coordinate this a bit.
31
32 cheers,
33 Markus