From: "Marcus D. Hanwell" <cryos@g.o>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] Re: Scientific herd leadership
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 09:06:18
On Monday 22 August 2005 08:48, C Y wrote:
> Perhaps we could have a "support team" behind someone with official > Gentoo developer status - people could point out significant ebuilds > with most logic in place to the developer, help work out quirks in the > programs/ebuilds, and generally speed things up? Certainly the > developer would bear final responsibility but this way those of us with > five hours every month or so could help out too, particularly for > specialty packages. (BTY, if some genius could figure out brl-cad I > would be grateful - it's going to take me a year at this point :-/.)
I was wondering myself if some people in here might be receptive to the idea of a support team, much like the arch testers we have for the amd64 porting team. It often leads on to people becoming devs, but is a great way to help out when you can. Tony Murray is filling that kind of role unofficially with all the work he puts into the boinc and setiathome ebuilds, whilst I review, test, improve and commit them once they are up to standard. I also have good contact with the quickplot developer who has integrated my patches upstream and helped significantly with the ebuilds for that package. I think these relationships are important, and I personally nurture them as much as possible. Many scientific packages are very involved and having people help test and work out problems can significantly increase our efficiency as a team.
> > There are a fair number of at least partial ebuilds for useful > scientific software stuck in bugzilla - brl-cad and acl2 come > immediately to mind, and I know there are others. Plus a fair number > that don't have ebuilds where it would be useful to have them. Gentoo > is alreay one of the best for scientific software, due to compiling > things being easy and our ebuild pool, but we could definitely do > better.
The problem comes down to manpower and a need to recruit some more people to the team. Having a support team similar to the arch testers could certainly help in our case if those people were not ready to become devs/didn't have the time. Once a package has been committed they would also need to help with version bumps and fixing bugs with the new packages ideally.
> > My machine is probably a poor test machine - what gentoo environment > would we need to maintain?
Just an up to date Gentoo install is fine. If you are testing some more experimental stuff (I test new baselayout, glibc, gcc and other core stuff sometimes) then a chroot might also be adviseable. Scientific apps just require an up to date system. Thanks, Marcus -- Gentoo Linux Developer Scientific Applications | AMD64 | KDE | net-proxy

Subject Author
[gentoo-science] unsubscribe John Tee <johnmtee@××××××××.fm>
Re: [gentoo-science] Re: Scientific herd leadership "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@×××××××.net>