From: Andrew Ammerlaan <andrewammerlaan@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-science] Fwd: Re: Interested in becoming a Gentoo developer
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2020 14:51:50
1 Hi Gentoo Science Team,
2
3 I'm interested in joining the Science Team as a developer. For a
4 detailed description of my previous experience with ebuilds and Gentoo I
5 refer to the emails I forwarded below (the short summary is that I
6 maintain spyder (The Scientific PYthon Development EnviRonment) and some
7 dependencies in ::gentoo, and that I'm a Trusted Contributor to the GURU
8 project.). I'll also add some more information on what I do
9 scientifically in this email.
10 After just over 5 years of studying Physics, I'm at the verge of
11 completing my Masters in Physics of Molecules and Materials. The past
12 year I've been busy with an internship at the High Field Magnet
13 Laboratory (Nijmegen, The Netherlands), where I've been working on
14 creating a setup for Oscillating Cantilever Magnetometry, with varying
15 levels of success (the pandemic didn't make things easier). I submitted
16 my Thesis this week, and am currently awaiting a review and a result.
17 After which I'm hoping to start a PhD (if the pandemic allows that).
18
19 I would love to hear if anyone has the time for mentoring me. As I also
20 said in the emails I forwarded below, I have already taken a look at the
21 quizzes linked on the Gentoo website and I feel like I can answer a lot
22 of the questions in there (not all of them though, so I do still need to
23 study a bit).
24
25 Best regards,
26 Andrew
29 -------- Forwarded Message --------
30 Subject: Interested in becoming a Gentoo developer
31 Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2020 16:36:58 +0200
32 From: Andrew Ammerlaan <andrewammerlaan@××××××.net>
33 To: recruiters@g.o
34 CC: Joonas Niilola <juippis@g.o>, Michał Górny
35 <mgorny@g.o>, heroxbd@g.o, sping@g.o
38 Hi recruiters@g.o,
41 I started contributing to ::gentoo in Novemeber/December of last year
42 via the proxy-maint project. My first project was getting spyder-4 in
43 the tree. Spyder is the Scientific PYthon Development EnviRonment, and I
44 use it a lot for data analysis and such (I study Physics), at the time
45 the spyder ebuild was outdated and contained a couple of bugs that had
46 been open for quite some time, eventually I decided that I would just
47 fix it myself. This was a *massive* Pull Request
48 (https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/13988 I had to split it up a
49 bit), and @juippis, @hartwork and @heroxbd helped me a lot with it. Back
50 then I didn't really know what I was doing, but I found that everyone
51 was really helpful in giving feedback on my work and linking me the
52 relevant documentation and tutorials. I learned a lot from the
53 experience, and I still proxy-maintain dev-python/spyder and some of its
54 dependencies such as dev-python/python-language-server.
55
56 In January I joined the ::guru project
57 (https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:GURU) as a Contributor
58 (https://bugs.gentoo.org/706002). I had some new package ebuilds that I
59 wanted to share, but I didn't want to add to the already huge amount of
60 PRs that get assigned to the proxy-maint team. I found that GURU was the
61 perfect place for these new ebuilds. My second project consisted of
62 writing ebuilds for Vidify and deps (https://vidify.org/
63 https://github.com/vidify/vidify). Vidify is an awesome tool that
64 automagically fetches the music video from YouTube that corresponds to
65 whatever music you're listening to at the moment on any client (e.g.
66 spotify web, or media-sound/spotify via dbus). Here and there I helped
67 the developer of Vidify with some bugs I found, and I translated his
68 website to my native language (Dutch). In ::guru, I still maintain
69 media-video/vidify and dependencies such as dev-python/tekore,
70 net-misc/lyricwikia, dev-python/httpx, dev-python/uvicorn,
71 dev-python/python-vlc, dev-python/python-mpv and dev-python/pydbus.
72
73 Because I noticed that contributions to GURU's dev branch were not being
74 merged to the master branch, I requested to become a Trusted Contributor
75 to ::guru in early-March (https://bugs.gentoo.org/711868). My request
76 was granted, and from that moment on I've been reviewing commits from
77 other Contributors to GURU's dev branch a couple of times each week, and
78 providing feedback where necessary, before merging them to the master
79 branch. Among others, I also added ebuilds for media-tv/droidcam,
80 games-action/multimc and games-action/minecraft-launcher to ::guru.
81
82 Nearing the end of March, I discussed with @mgorny and @juippis the idea
83 of mentioning the GURU project in Pull Requests to ::gentoo that only
84 add 'new packages'. My hope was that this would reduce somewhat the huge
85 amount of PRs assigned to the proxy-maint project, and at the same time
86 increase the amount of contributions to, and popularity of, the GURU
87 project. Initially, I did this manually by leaving comments on the 'new
88 package' Pull Requests, but together with @mgorny we automated this:
89 https://github.com/mgorny/assign-pull-requests/commit/f2115b4f253d55a1fd63dbe77165aec5174069e9
90 . This has resulted in a steady stream of new Contributors to ::guru.
91
92 In April, @juippis opened a discussion on adding some common guidelines
93 for the GURU project (https://github.com/gentoo/guru/issues/5). After
94 discussing some basic rules and regulations with the community of
95 Contributors, I wrote a draft README.md for the ::guru repository, which
96 I committed to the repository early in May, and can be viewed on the
97 ::guru GitHub mirror: https://github.com/gentoo/guru .
98
99 This week I finished the first draft version of my thesis, and therefore
100 I now have a lot of extra time on my hands. I would like to spend this
101 extra time learning even more about ebuilds/portage/Gentoo, and
102 hopefully become a Gentoo developer at some point. I read the 'Becoming
103 a Developer' section on the Gentoo website, and took a quick look at the
104 quiz linked there, and I feel like I could answer a lot of the questions
105 in there. Though there are also some that I do not know how to answer,
106 and therefore still require more studying and reading on my part.
107
108 I read that I have to find a mentor, and I was hoping either @juippis,
109 @mgorny, @heroxbd or @hartwork (who I have CC'ed) would have the time to
110 do that.
111
112 Best Regards,
113 Andrew
114
115 P.S. Sorry for the really long email, I felt like I needed to describe
116 my past involvement in the Gentoo community, but the length of the email
117 might have gotten a bit out of hand.
118
119 -------- Forwarded Message --------
120 Subject: Re: Interested in becoming a Gentoo developer
121 Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2020 12:37:29 +0200
122 From: Andrew Ammerlaan <andrewammerlaan@××××××.net>
123 To: Benda Xu <heroxbd@g.o>, Joonas Niilola <juippis@g.o>
124 CC: recruiters@g.o, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o>,
125 sping@g.o
128 Hi all,
129
130 Thank you for your replies and kind words :)
131