From: Panagiotis Christopoulos <pxrist@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] Locating ar
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 11:44:35
1 On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 2:36 PM, Panagiotis Christopoulos
2 <pxrist@×××××.com>wrote:
3
4 > ...
5 >
6 > if you open the original sources (without eautoreconf), and go inside
7 > omalloc folder, you'll find the cause in line 120 of configure.ac and/or
8 > 12977 of configure. It's hardcoded there that the script should fail if
9 > $ac_cv_prog_AR is not "ar". Here, portage already passes (even without your
10 > tc-exports etc.) the correct environment to singular's build system but
11 > "x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-ar" is not "ar". You could remove that check at all
12 > but I'm not a toolchain expert and don't know why the check is there in
13 > first place. On my box ar just links to x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-ar so no big
14 > deal.
17 of course , name changes may affect program behariour ($0) so ar might have
18 different results if you invoke it as "ar" than "x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-ar".
19 I would remove or replace the configure check and would do some testing to
20 see what happens. Was omalloc and that test included on previous versions
21 too?