From: "François Bissey" <f.r.bissey@×××××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-science] [sage-on-gentoo] 4.6.1.alpha2 and absence
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 10:14:17
Hi all,

After a false start earlier this week it appears that sage-4.6.1.alpha2
is finally released. The previous "release" was aborted after I reported
tests results from sage-on-gentoo to the sage-devel mailing list.
We have an impact upstream. Thanks to Steve Trogdon for running the test
in question against my ebuilds.

There are many things of interest planned for 4.6.1:
* numpy-1.5/scipy-0.8 - we already have this but now it is official upstream
* maxima-5.22.1 - again we already have this but upstream is getting there
* cvxopt-1.1.3 - see above
* sphinx-1.0.4 - is stable on gentoo but broke a test in sage, with upstream
upgrading the test is fixed.

While we have a lot of this already, the main point is that the number of
patches we are applying is actually going down in this release.
And if I had been a bit more attentive working with upstream it may have been
going down further.

We have a handle on all the issues reported except for two. One about gap
from which we haven't heard in ages. Some changes we have made months
ago would have reduced the impact of this problem dramatically anyway.
A report by Vladimir that sage doesn't work on his system. This is more
worrying but we are unable to reproduce it. I am hoping it is related to
some tickets upstream on pynac. If it is, Vladimir's problem could be solved
in 4.6.1 or 4.6.2.

------------------------

Other matters. Some of you already know this. I am relocating on the 1st of
December and will be probably out of action for most of December.
Christopher will be the sole person in charge of the overlay during that time.
I am sure he will have the support of the usual suspects.

I am not sure what his plans are regarding making alpha releases. It was
quite good to do some for 4.6 as there was a lot of changes being put in
place upstream. 4.6.1 is more interesting than I thought it would be, so
there is some value in doing some alpha releases.
I think we are in good shape for 4.6.1 as it is unlikely there will be another
disruptive change at this stage.

Oh yes, I will lose my ppc machine :( - I will get some more at my new work
but they won't be running gentoo (although I am already thinking of trying
to run prefix on them) they are running aix.

Francois