From: Alex Legler <a3li@g.o>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] No GLSA since January?!?
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 18:10:12
1 On Friday 26 August 2011 20:00:15 Joost Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Friday, August 26, 2011 07:06:35 PM Christian Kauhaus wrote:
3 > > Am 26.08.2011 18:55, schrieb Alex Legler:
4 > > > Compared to other distributions, our advisories have been rather
5 > > > detailed with lots of manually researched information. I'm not sure
6 > > > if
7 > > > we can keep up this very high standard with the limited manpower,
8 > > > but
9 > > > we'll try our best.
10 > >
11 > > I see the point. I think it would be an achievement over the current
12 > > situation (which is: no current GLSAs at all) to send out less detailed
13 > > GLSAs. Even something short as: "$PACKAGE has vulnerabilities, they are
14 > > fixed in $VERSION, for details see $CVE" would be immensely helpful.
15 > >
16 > > Is the any viable way to get it at least to this point? Probably the
17 > > largest part of such a task could be automated. This would lift the
18 > > burden from the security maintainers.
19 >
20 > I agree on this.
21 > I don't (yet) know enough to actually help in this. I tend to follow
22 > advisories and try to keep my machines as much up-to-date as possible.
23 >
24 > More brief GSLAs like what Christian mentioned are, for the majority,
25 > sufficient. If someone really needs more information, there is always
26 > google.
29 Like I said, please use Bugzilla and some basic filtering to get notifications
30 until we can provide full advisories again. I realize it's not a solution and
31 you will get the information somewhat unfiltered, but it is a reliable and
32 most importantly currently available source of information.
33
34 Alex
37 Alex Legler <a3li@g.o>
38 Gentoo Security / Ruby