From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@××××××××××.jp>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Gentoo's security
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 02:39:40
1 On Monday 08 November 2004 11:02, Alexander Holler wrote:
2 > So you have on the one side carefully crafted environments to protect
3 > the system/user from software-failures or attackers, but on the other
4 > side there is portage which is run regulary and is fetching scripts from
5 > the internet which are run unchecked by root.
6 >
7 > I think this explains why I doesn't understand that nobody cares about
8 > that.
9
10 It really seems to me like you are trolling. The first email you sent was done
11 so after getting frustrated with Mike Frysinger's (vapier) closing of the
12 "versioned eclasses" bug. Yet, what you are talking about here is absolutely
13 nothing to do with that. You made most of the same statements on the bug, but
14 they were off-topic in that bug's context as well. Furthermore, there is
15 already another bug open for that off-topicness.
16
17 So, let me give you an account of where I see things are at:
18 * SHA1 support is in portage but can't be enabled yet due to compatibility
19 issues. That is, enabling it will prevent user's running <portage-2.0.51
20 from being able to upgrade.
21 * Ebuild signing support is in portage and is starting to be adopted.
22 Presently, there is a push for developer education.
23 * CVS portage now runs most ebuild phases as the portage user rather than
24 root and work is being done to support the last few as well.
25 * Eclass, package and profile signing are all currently being worked on (and
26 had begun before you started trolling)
27
28 The thing you seem to keep coming back to is why it hasn't already been
29 completed. You've been given the answer to that several times - lack of time
30 and higher priority issues. What I really would like to know is why you are
31 trying to tie up so much more of the time of the people that you would have
32 implement support for these critical features with these pointless emails?
33
34 Regards,
35 Jason Stubbs
38 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list