From: Jeff Gercken <JeffG@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-security] Boot CD for secure remote access
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 20:41:36
I've been chewing on this idea for a while and am hoping someone on the
list may help me with a concern.

The notion is that big company B will distribute CDs to employees to use
for remotely accessing things like mail, corporate Intranet, etc.  The
disk contains two bootable images.  One is "normal" and is the first to
load.  The second squashed image is encrypted in a manner that the first
image can decrypt.

The first image loads, connects to Corp B and authenticates the user.
At that point the key to decrypt the second image is provided and the
computer chroots to the second image.  This environment is considered
trusted and access is provided into Corp B.

This seems fairly straightforward but then why isn't anyone doing this
already?  What haven't I considered?

It's easy to use the word encryption but is much harder to make it work.
Any recommendations on projects I should look at that may be suitable
for this purpose?

thanks,
Jeff

Jeff Gercken <mailto:jeffg@×××××.com>