From: Antoine Martin <antoine@××××××××××.uk>
To: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@××××××××××.jp>
Cc: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Re: Out of air
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 12:38:49
1 > > The current development effort that is underway is not one that can be
2 > > implemented overnight, but there is a solution that manages to satisfy
3 > > the core needs of this thread that can be implemented overnight.
4 I second that.
5
6 To reply to a few other threads:
7 1) This is no disrespect to the gentoo devs (kudos here) or the other,
8 better solution that is in the works. Just a band-aid we would rather
9 have now.
10 2) To all those saying that code should be submitted, we do not have
11 access to the rsync servers needed to code 5 lines of bash.
12
13 > I would advise everybody to read through aforementioned discussions in the
14 > archives of gentoo-dev@g.o before persuing this. Something that
15 > appears so simple as this on the surface still has a number of sharp edges.
16 > The infrastructure team would have to do some careful planning and possibly
17 > restructing of job control on the master rsync and cvs servers. The portage
18 > team would need to implement support for verifying the signature is valid.
19 > Whoever else would have to plan and implement distribution of this
20 > all-powerful key.
21 I think we all admit it may take some time, but we are talking about the
22 quick and dirty solution as a stop-gap measure, nothing else.
23 And if the better solution takes more than 1.5years to roll out, backup
24 plans are just common sense - not criticism.
25
26 > But it doesn't stop there. Following this would be plan of action for the case
27 > that the all-powerful key is compromised. Then there is also the up to six
28 > month transition period between this solution and the solution that is
29 > currently being implemented. That also requires careful planning and
30 > implementation. So.. adding this simple solution now actually more than
31 > doubles the amount of work that needs to be done down the track.
32 Would you care to expand on that?
33
34 I is just a cron job and a script, how would that double the amount of
35 work in the future?!?
36
37 Antoine
41 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list