From: Glen Combe <gcombe@×××××××××××.us>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-security] Re: *****SPAM***** Re: [gentoo-security] Re: Let's blow the whistle
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 15:29:19
1 ok lets move past the what if. or could be. I have read most of the
2 threads since the inception. Who is the moderator or top level person for
3 security for gentoo. Have they posted or addressed this on this thread or
4 in general? that part I was unable to find?
5
6 I dont mean to simplify or over complicate the matter. But is there a
7 legitamate solution or proposal on the table. I have read some great
8 ideas, and some very dis-heartening ones as well. Like most of you I
9 love gentoo, I love the concept behind it. So now lets move toward a
10 solution. There will be flaws with any of these ideas, but there has to
11 be a solution that will be a bit more secure and resolve some of the issue
12 at hand. wether that is PGP or .jar or DSA keys.
15 ----- Original Message -----
16 From: "Andrew Jaquith" <ajaquith@×××××××.com>
17 To: <gentoo-security@l.g.o>
18 Cc: "Peter Simons" <simons@××××.to>
19 Sent: Monday, November 08, 2004 8:19 AM
20 Subject: *****SPAM***** Re: [gentoo-security] Re: Let's blow the whistle
23 > I've lost track on where we are on this thread.
24 >
25 > That said -- there is a perfectly good standard for signing and
26 > verifying files in large-scale collections of code. It's called a
27 > signed JAR file. The 'jarsigner -verify my.jar' command works very
28 > nicely.
29 >
30 > http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/guide/jar/jar.html
31 >
32 > The file format itself is ZIP rather than tar or gzip.
33 >
34 > Peter -- I appreciate your efforts to raise the visibility of this
35 > issue.
36 >
37 > Andrew Jaquith
38 > Senior Project Manager