From: Joel Osburn <tjeckleberg@××××.com>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-security] Do I need to rebuild things after upgrading ssl?
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 17:41:44
1 Quoting Marc Bellarin:
2 >To find packages that had the static flag set when built run
3 >
4 ># grep -r static /var/db/*| grep \/USE
5 >
6 >(This is no "V" but "\ /" !)
7
8 As you say, this just find packages that were compiled using the
9 'static' flag.
10
11 A developer may have their own reasons for insisting that their program
12 be statically compiled against a particular library. In such a case,
13 you don't get to choose. The last time there was an openssl
14 vulnerability, I discovered that one of my machines (still using
15 apache-1.3.x, so using mod_ssl) was vulnerable *after* I had updated
16 openssl. I wasn't the only one on the list who had that problem. I've
17 never used the static flag, but mod_ssl was statically compiled against
18 openssl, and thus had to be re-compiled. No separate GLSA stating that,
19 you should just know, apparently. But no good method emerged to let one
20 figure out what other programs may do the same thing and also need to be
21 recompiled.
22
23 Hence the discussion yesterday in this thread. Jeremy Huddleston
24 suggested doing "readelf -s <exec> | grep <symbol>". I'm no guru, and
25 don't totally understand what a file containing any given symbol means,
26 but if this command does indeed show if a file was statically compiled
27 against a given library, then there are a lot of things that need to be
28 recompiled. Put it in a little script and run it against my /usr/bin/
29 shows such files as ftp, links2, mutt, ssh, and wget. That doesn't
30 sound right to me, but... how can I prove it one way or the other?
31
32 Marc's grep command above returns nothing compiled with the static USE
33 flag.
34
35 IMHO, in source-based distribution this is a critical issue and needs to
36 be solved. I wish I knew what that solution was :(
37
38 -Joel Osburn
42 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list