From: Johan Andersson <johan@×××××.net>
To: Joel Osburn <tjeckleberg@××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Do I need to rebuild things after upgrading ssl?
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 17:59:19
1 Joel Osburn wrote:
2 > Quoting Marc Bellarin:
3 >
4 >>To find packages that had the static flag set when built run
5 >>
6 >># grep -r static /var/db/*| grep \/USE
7 >>
8 >>(This is no "V" but "\ /" !)
11 > As you say, this just find packages that were compiled using the
12 > 'static' flag.
13 >
14 > A developer may have their own reasons for insisting that their program
15 > be statically compiled against a particular library. In such a case,
16 > you don't get to choose. The last time there was an openssl
17 > vulnerability, I discovered that one of my machines (still using
18 > apache-1.3.x, so using mod_ssl) was vulnerable *after* I had updated
19 > openssl. I wasn't the only one on the list who had that problem. I've
20 > never used the static flag, but mod_ssl was statically compiled against
21 > openssl, and thus had to be re-compiled. No separate GLSA stating that,
22 > you should just know, apparently. But no good method emerged to let one
23 > figure out what other programs may do the same thing and also need to be
24 > recompiled.
25 >
26 > Hence the discussion yesterday in this thread. Jeremy Huddleston
27 > suggested doing "readelf -s <exec> | grep <symbol>". I'm no guru, and
28 > don't totally understand what a file containing any given symbol means,
29 > but if this command does indeed show if a file was statically compiled
30 > against a given library, then there are a lot of things that need to be
31 > recompiled. Put it in a little script and run it against my /usr/bin/
32 > shows such files as ftp, links2, mutt, ssh, and wget. That doesn't
33 > sound right to me, but... how can I prove it one way or the other?
34 >
35 > Marc's grep command above returns nothing compiled with the static USE
36 > flag.
37 >
38 > IMHO, in source-based distribution this is a critical issue and needs to
39 > be solved. I wish I knew what that solution was :(
42 A list of libraries used staticly in a package could be generated by
43 hooking gcc, ld etc. when compiling the package. That way ebuild could
44 watch for --static flags and record any library used static.
45
46 /Johan Andersson
49 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list