From: Tobias Weisserth <tobias@×××××××××.de>
To: cummings@××××××××.net
Cc: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>, gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] System knockout :-(
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2004 22:51:36
1 Hi Matthew,
2
3 cummings@××××××××.net schrieb:
4
5 >On Sat, 3 Apr 2004, Tobias Weisserth wrote:
9 >>Backups are not the problem... Reinstalling a perfectly well tuned
10 >>Gentoo system gives me the shivers... I'm seriously thinking of using
11 >>mirrored raid partitions next time.
15 >I considered a Raid 1 solution, but it's slow and has one major drawback.
16 >What happens if you get hacked because a security problem is slow to get
17 >patched? With raid 1 both drives get hacked, but if you manually mirror
18 >the second drive on changes if you get hacked you would be able to swap
19 >them, update the problem, then mirror the fixed system to the previously
20 >hacked version, saving you the time of recompiling and tuning the system.
25 That's why I install and set up Tripwire right after I did a perfectly
26 good installation. I don't know of any way an intruder could sneak
27 around a good Tripwire setup. It's on all my machines first thing after
28 system setup and before the network gets plugged in.
29
30 regards,
31 Tobias
34 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list