From: cummings@××××××××.net
To: Tobias Weisserth <tobias@×××××××××.de>
Cc: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>, gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] System knockout :-(
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2004 15:57:40
1 On Sat, 3 Apr 2004, Tobias Weisserth wrote:
2
3 > Backups are not the problem... Reinstalling a perfectly well tuned
4 > Gentoo system gives me the shivers... I'm seriously thinking of using
5 > mirrored raid partitions next time.
6
7 I considered a Raid 1 solution, but it's slow and has one major drawback.
8 What happens if you get hacked because a security problem is slow to get
9 patched? With raid 1 both drives get hacked, but if you manually mirror
10 the second drive on changes if you get hacked you would be able to swap
11 them, update the problem, then mirror the fixed system to the previously
12 hacked version, saving you the time of recompiling and tuning the system.
15 Matthew P. Cummings
18 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list