From: Tobias Weisserth <tobias@×××××××××.de>
To: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] System knockout :-(
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2004 15:51:11
1 Hi everybody,
2
3 Paul de Vrieze schrieb:
4
5 >On Saturday 03 April 2004 16:42, Dan Podeanu wrote:
8 >>I would never buy a Samsung HDD, as I would never buy an HP switch, or an
9 >>LG mobile phone.
12 At the time I bought the thing, I needed a large cheap drive desperately
13 to replace another goner :-(
14
15 But it's not that bad. Apart from lots of mails and some personal stuff
16 not much has been lost. Most of the things on the drive had been backed
17 up on CDs, so the loss is more of an "at the worst possible time" thing.
18
19 >>Buy harddrives from those that do harddrives for a living (maxtor, seagata,
20 >>western digital), switches from cisco, nortel, etc., mobiles from siemens,
21 >>nokia, etc.
24 I have never had any problems with Samsung. Your rule may be true most
25 of the time but it's certainly not genuine. But I'll try to get a Maxtor
26 to replace the damn thing.
27
28 >>Just my imho.
29 >>
30 >>Sorry for your harddrive :(
33 I'll try to get a replacement from Samsung. Manufacturing date is
34 2003.07 and I bough it two months later so they should replace it
35 without trouble. The drive carries no signs of external damage and I
36 just investigated the temperature which is fine. I am totally clueless
37 what destroyed the drive.
38
39 >I have a similar experience from samsung hd's. My university computer has one.
40 >Before this one it had another one. That old one was a 10gb version that was
41 >particularly slow. Besides that allready three of my colleagues had had
42 >problems with similar drives. Then mine started to act up. I guess I was on
43 >to it in time and I got a replacement before it stopped working completely.
44 >
45 >In any case backups are the way to go as I have had a number of hd crashes in
46 >my life allready.
49 Backups are not the problem... Reinstalling a perfectly well tuned
50 Gentoo system gives me the shivers... I'm seriously thinking of using
51 mirrored raid partitions next time.
52
53 regards,
54 Tobias
55
56 p.s.: I have to work at a W2K PC right now and I didn't remember how
57 much that sucks :-( Having to work with this thing is almost worse than
58 losing the drive. Almost.
61 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list