From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@××××××××××.jp>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Re: Trolling (was: Gentoo's security)
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 04:49:38
1 On Monday 08 November 2004 13:15, Alexander Holler wrote:
2 > In the bug I mentioned in my second post, I explain that the trojan for
3 > ebuilds is also usable on eclasses (which I've missed because they where
4 > relativly new and I've never used them). Ok, unrelated according to you.
5
6 This is unrelated to versioning of eclasses. There is another bug open for
7 signing of eclasses.
8
9 > And the second post, I also have reminder on the first post, where the
10 > first bug is mentioned where I explain how a list with hashes would
11 > help. Ok, very complicated and unrelated too.
12
13 Nobody denied that they wouldn't help. Scaring people definately does not help
14 though.
15
16 > > So, let me give you an account of where I see things are at:
17 > > * SHA1 support is in portage but can't be enabled yet due to
18 > > compatibility issues. That is, enabling it will prevent user's running
19 > > <portage-2.0.51 from being able to upgrade.
20 >
21 > I still don't understand why just building a list with hashes (maybe
22 > signed) takes over 2 years.
23
24 I came on board with the portage team 12 months ago. One dev left and there is
25 one new dev since then, which makes five. All of us are busy with non-Gentoo
26 work, especially over the last several months. I'd estimate a total of 40-50
27 man-hours put into portage each week.
28
29 Those 40-50 hours mostly go toward bug fixing as portage the code is a mess.
30 It's become a mess because of the push to get this, that and the other
31 feature in as quickly as possible. To give you a visible example, take the
32 recent GPG signing support. Search bugs.g.o for gpg signing and have a look
33 how many there are. How about glsa-check?
34
35 Most features in portage are implemented in a very hackish way because people
36 are always screaming "NOW!!!". The main focus of the team right now is to
37 clean up that mess so that new features can be implemented quickly, easily
38 and without an ensuing torrent of bug reports.
39
40 > > The thing you seem to keep coming back to is why it hasn't already been
41 > > completed. You've been given the answer to that several times - lack of
42 > > time and higher priority issues. What I really would like to know is why
43 > > you are
44 >
45 > Things like FEATURES="candy"?
46
47 This combined with "emerge moo" was perhaps a max total of 2 hours work. Are
48 you suggesting that we should not spend a trivial amount of our volunteer
49 time adding something that is welcomed by many?
50
51 Regards,
52 Jason Stubbs
55 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list