From: Robert Sanders <rob-lists@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] System knockout :-(
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2004 20:01:07
1 My 2 cents on HDD,
2
3 After having a batch of 10 WD's fail, I talked to a few distributors I deal
4 with. The general reply is right now, most companys have around the same
5 return rates on compairable drives. These people deal with drive complaints
6 all day, so I believe it.
7
8 Handling has more effect on the quality of drive than the company that made
9 it. Odd's are you will see more drive failures from improper handling before
10 it gets to you than defects. Your best bet is to pick your drives based on
11 the manufactures return policy and warranty period. Some companys are just
12 'friendlier' to deal with.
13
14 Well, anyway sorry to hear about your loss :(
15 Being a laptop user with clumsy hands, I've been there several times. I use
16 IMAP for my mail, and keep my key's hidden away on servers just for that
17 reason. Right now, I'm on my 3rd 7200RPM travelstar, and at $200+ a pop it
18 really hurts LOL
19
20 Rob
24 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list