From: stian@×××××.no
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] PAM/passwd? and hash tables
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 15:23:27
> Fields are separated by a semicolon. So in the first one you have the > username, and in the second one there is the encrypted password but > this field is again separated in three new fields by a $ sign. So the > first one (1 in this case) is the encryption algorithm used (I'll have
$1$ meens MD5 (with salt). glibc crypt() function also reflects this. If the salt format doesn't match $1$xxxxxxx$ format, DES encryption is assumed, which has a very weak salt. Stian Skjelstad -- gentoo-security@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-security] PAM/passwd? and hash tables Stuart Howard <stuart.g.howard@×××××.com>