From: Peter Simons <simons@××××.to>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-security] Re: Trojan for Gentoo, part 2
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 16:07:32
1 Kurt Lieber writes:
2
3 >> (1) Run "find /usr/portage -type f | xargs sha1sum -b" on
4 >> the Gentoo main system.
5 >>
6 >> (2) Sign the output with GPG.
7 >>
8 >> (3) Put it into the portage tree.
9 >>
10 >> (4) If the user has GPG installed and has manually put the
11 >> appropriate public key in some place _outside_ of the
12 >> portage tree, have "emerge sync" verify that the
13 >> signature is intact and all hashes hold.
14
15 > Let's assume we implement the above steps. What does that
16 > buy you?
17
18 It makes it impossible to temper with the portage tree for
19 everyone except those who have access to the secret key.
20 This rules out ...
21
22 (1) man-in-the-middle attacks over the network,
23
24 (2) attacks from random mirror admins,
25
26 (3) attacks from random Gentoo developers.
27
28 Furthermore, if you have one GPG key per developer and
29 authenticate those keys with another GPG key that's not
30 available on a machine connected to the network, then you
31 also have significantly more auditing capabilities than you
32 have right now.
35 > How do you know how many people have a copy of the
36 > private key used to sign that data?
37
38 The scheme doesn't protect me against a compromised GPG key.
41 > How do you know what sort of passphrase is used on it?
42
43 I do not know. Instead, I trust the Gentoo developers to
44 choose a sensible one because I know you guys are really
45 smart and capable technicians.
48 > Most importantly, how do you know when to stop? At some
49 > point, you're going to have to accept some level of risk.
50
51 Sorry, but I always get nervous when I am talking about a
52 very specific technical problem and people answer with very
53 general, philosophical thoughts. I _know_ that I have to
54 trust someone sooner or later. But let's keep the number of
55 people I have to trust as small as possible.
56
57 Right now, I have to trust the entire network. I don't know
58 about others, but that's slightly above the level of risk I
59 am willing to accept.
60
61 Peter
65 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list