From: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
To: Koon <koon@××××××.net>
Cc: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Gentoo security policy
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 14:36:40
1 On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 03:28:08PM +0100 or thereabouts, Koon wrote:
2 > OK, so the process (and groups in charge) is :
3 >
4 > - Vulnerability is found, posted on specific software announce lists
5 > and/or general purpose security-lists)
6 > - User A that reads these groups posts a bugzilla entry
7 > - Developer/User B submits corrective ebuild on bugzilla
8 > - Developer C tests/inserts ebuild in official ~tree(s)
9 > - Developer D pushes ebuild in official stable tree(s)
10 > - SecurityGuy E writes a GLSA
11 > - SecurityChief F approves GLSA for posting
12 >
13 > Where is the shortage in manpower ? From what you say I deduce you need
14 > more of the "E" type, but are we sure there is not too much delay in the
15 > "B" "C" or "D" steps ? Should the "E" guy have authority to motivate the
16 > "C" and "D" guys ?
17
18 That flow is largely correct, except SecurityGuy E is riding herd on
19 Developer B, C and D to get the stuff patched. SecurityGuy E acts as an
20 overall coordinator for that particular GLSA. They keep track of all the
21 other bits and pieces so they should know at any given time what the status
22 of that GLSA is.
23
24 > >Kernel GLSAs are difficult because we can't release the GLSA until all our
25 > >kernels have been patched.
26 >
27 > That's because you want the GLSA to address the whole problems and not
28 > only parts of it. In the case of the latest kernel flaw, everyone had to
29 > wait 2 weeks for a GLSA while the corrected vanilla kernels were out the
30 > same day as vulnerability disclosure and most other corrected kernels
31 > were out two days after.
32 >
33 > Maybe we should consider releasing multiple GLSAs for the same problem.
34 > In the case of the latest kernel flaw, a GLSA describing a fix (using
35 > vanilla kernels) and a workaround (apply the following patch to your
36 > current kernel) could have been out very fast, and a second more
37 > comprehensive GLSA treating all other sources could have wait. This way
38 > everyone would have known of the problem, known how to avoid it, and
39 > known that a second GLSA would be issued on the subject for final
40 > resolution.
41
42 A valid point and something that I forwarded on to the security team. I
43 don't like the idea of multiple GLSAs, but I do think we should release
44 different revisions of the same GLSA.
45
46 --kurt