From: Andreas Waschbuesch <awaschb@××××.de>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Re: Trojan for Gentoo, part 2
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 17:44:20
1 epistula illius Dan Margolis profluit verbis:
2 > [...]
3 > Yes, this has the basic assumption that the private key is secure, but
4 > all secure systems make a few basic assumptions, so this is hardly
5 > unprecedented (we cannot thoroughly prove the security of RSA, and we
6 > often can't even come close for symmetric-key systems), but that
7 > doesn't mean that they have inherently zero value. I find that sort of
8 > argument to be quite flawed, because it's essentially saying, ``Well,
9 > nothing is provably secure, so why even have secure systems?''
10 > [...]
11
12 Sorry, but i completely disagree. Guidelines exist. The "weakest link" and
13 "general participation" strategy base is lacking, signed ebuilds or not.
14 I could open some - as ist seems - "usefull" sourceforge-project and
15 inject any "additional" code on gentoo systems, while submitting a
16 perfectly "legal" ebuild, signed to "heavenly" trust. Will security
17 developers check the source? Will the users do it? It's just one possible
18 "leak", but it's the first one. So where is the security? It's gone,
19 since nobody actually can nor could foresee or calculate anything as long
20 as there is no global code auditing implemented.
21
22 Good will, ideas, step by step implemented - apreciated. Maybe many
23 $PROJECTS would "follow". But one fact remains: the complete process has
24 to be dealt with: from source-generation over distribution to
25 installation. And as long as it's not completely done, security is not
26 calculable and therefore "zero". So dealing with signed ebuilds
27 securitywise is like dealing with signs on the frontdoor saying "this
28 house is safe".
29
30 My 2 cents ...
33 Andreas Waschbuesch, GAUniversity KG MA FNZ FK01
34 eMail: awaschb@××××.de
35
36 Said the attractive, cigar-smoking housewife to her girl-friend: "I got
37 started one night when George came home and found one burning in the
38 ashtray."