From: Peter Simons <simons@××××.to>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-security] Re: Is anybody else worried about this?
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 15:28:29
1 Marc Ballarin writes:
2
3 > Sorry if this sounds harsh, but calling this an exploit
4 > is ridiculous. [...] As it stands, it is plain FUD.
5
6 Let me restate the problem in my own words. Anyone who has
7 access to a Gentoo mirror can modify a crucial part of the
8 build infrastructure to execute arbitrary code on my system
9 and Gentoo does, as of now, provide no way for me to
10 recognize this has happened.
11
12 You believe this is nothing more than FUD?
15 > If you download and execute untrusted code you are in
16 > danger.
17
18 This problem has nothing to do with trusted or untrusted
19 code, it is about data integrity. Or, more accurately, about
20 _lack_ thereof.
23 > (1) the server has not been compromised
24
25 How do I very this? Is there a list of SHA1 hashes of all
26 files /usr/portage is supposed to contain?
29 > (2) your connection has not been compromised
30
31 How do I verify this? Are there plans to use a
32 synchronization protocol that authenticates the peer to rule
33 out man-in-the-middle attacks? This shouldn't really be a
34 problem because rsync is readily available over SSH tunnels.
37 > (3) the server operator is trustworthy
38 > (4) the person that originally created the software is trustworthy
39 > (5) the server operator's are sufficiently skilled to protect the software
40 > (6) the person that originally created the software is suffciently skilled
41 > to protect it
42
43 None of these points are relevant for the problem we are
44 talking about. If Gentoo provides proper means of
45 authenticating the data I receive from the mirror, I don't
46 _need_ to trust the mirror's operator.
49 > However, none of those issues is specific to Gentoo or
50 > Open Source as a whole.
51
52 The fact that other projects have the same problem doesn't
53 mean that the problem shouldn't be fixed in Gentoo.
56 > You can verify the data, if:
57 > (1) a person has digitally signed the data
58
59 So why is the data apparently _not_ digitally signed then?
62 > (2) the person in (1) is trustworthy
63 > (3) the person in (1) is suffciently skilled to judge the integrity of
64 > data
65 > (4) the person in (1) knows how to handle the keys safely
66 > (5) the person in (1) has not been compromised
67 > (6) you have a secure way to obtain that persons public key
68 > (7) you know how to use digital signatures
69
70 With (1) not being implemented, (2)-(7) are pretty much
71 irrelevant right now, IMHO. Frankly, _this_ is FUD.
74 >> (1) Do you agree that this is a problem?
75
76 > Of course. It is just in *no* way specific to Gentoo.
77
78 What does it matter whether the problem is specific to
79 Gentoo or not?
82 >> (3) Is there any estimate how long [fixing this problem]
83 >> will take?
84
85 > IMO the purely technical issues have been solved mostly.
86 > However, those are smallest and least important part.
87
88 So how long will it (approximately) take until this problem
89 is fixed?
92 > Remember: All that Gentoo can protect against are
93 > attempts to manipulate data on Gentoo's rsync or file
94 > mirrors from the outside. Nothing more.
95
96 Then why doesn't Gentoo _do_ that?
99 > So a signed Portage tree might improve security, but only
100 > against one of many risks.
101
102 One risk less to worry about.
103