From: Marc Ballarin <Ballarin.Marc@×××.de>
To: Peter Simons <simons@××××.to>
Cc: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Is anybody else worried about this?
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 14:40:18
1 On 07 Nov 2004 14:14:28 +0100
2 Peter Simons <simons@××××.to> wrote:
3
4 > Fellow Gentoo'ers,
5 >
6 > I have to say that I am shocked by Alexander's posting. Once
7 > more I am forced to recognize that there is a difference
8 > between knowing that an exploit is "theoretically possible"
9 > and _seeing_ the actual exploit implemented in under 50
10 > lines of code.
11
12 Sorry if this sounds harsh, but calling this an exploit is ridiculous. If
13 this is an exploit, this is as well: "rm -rf /"
14 Just hack a portage mirror, and add it to some script...
15 As it stands, it is plain FUD.
16
17 If you download and execute untrusted code you are in danger. This
18 hopefully is common knowledge.
19 Wether you download an ISO-image, an update for Windows or a Portage tree
20 doesn't matter (not to mention the issue of malicous data, that can
21 exploit weaknesses in software...).
22
23 Either you can trust the source or you have to verify the data.
24
25 You can trust the source, if you know that:
26 (1) the server has not been compromised
27 (2) your connection has not been compromised (this includes routers, dns,
28 proxies, local lan, your local machine)
29 (3) the server operator is trustworthy
30 (4) the person that originally created the software is trustworthy
31 (5) the server operator's are sufficiently skilled to protect the software
32 (6) the person that originally created the software is suffciently skilled
33 to protect it
34
35 In the case of Gentoo there are risks mainly at 1 and 5, additionally at
36 2 and maybe 3.
37 5 and especially 6 are general problems of open source
38
39 However, none of those issues is specific to Gentoo or Open Source as a
40 whole. This is just the nature of a public network.
41
42 You can verify the data, if:
43 (1) a person has digitally signed the data
44 (2) the person in (1) is trustworthy
45 (3) the person in (1) is suffciently skilled to judge the integrity of
46 data
47 (4) the person in (1) knows how to handle the keys safely
48 (5) the person in (1) has not been compromised
49 (6) you have a secure way to obtain that persons public key
50 (7) you know how to use digital signatures
51
52 In case of Gentoo 1 is easy. 2 as well; if you don't trust the developers
53 you should not be using Gentoo.
54 3 is plain impossible. There is no possibility of a complete code
55 review. No distributor can do this, so it comes down to the reliability
56 of the individual open source projects. The person who signs the files has
57 to trust the original authors of the software.
58 4 is already difficult. If you have to sign a lot of files each day
59 you become sloppy. This is almost unavoidable.
60 >From an abstracted POV, a public key is just data. So for 6, we are back
61 to "You can trust the source, if:"...
64 > Having said that, I am even more shocked by the fact that
65 > this problem has been long known! As a user who doesn't like
66 > the idea of giving up control of his machines to random
67 > people on the Internet, I would kindly request a statement
68 > from the Gentoo developers about this. Specifically:
71 Well, I am no developer, but:
72 > (1) Do you agree that this is a problem?
73
74 Of course. It is just in *no* way specific to Gentoo. rsync mirrors can be
75 compromised, but so does kernel.org, microsoft.com or any other server.
76 Digital signatures aren't used very often, because they are rather
77 difficult to handle, and can only solve the problem at one level.
80 > (2) Are there plans for getting it fixed?
81
82 Ther first step were those "Manifest" files, the second step were signed
83 Manifest files. See the portage-2.0.51 announcement.
86 > (3) Is there any estimate how long this will take?
87
88 IMO the purely technical issues have been solved mostly. However, those
89 are smallest and least important part.
90
91 Remember: All that Gentoo can protect against are attempts to manipulate
92 data on Gentoo's rsync or file mirrors from the outside. Nothing more.
93 They can't protect you from a poorly managed and compromised open source
94 project, from a malicious developer in- or outside Gentoo, from a
95 developer's compromised machine in- or outside Gentoo or from your own
96 mistakes.
97 So a signed Portage tree might improve security, but only against one of
98 many risks.
99
100 Regards
103 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list