From: Michael Reilly <michaelr@×××××.com>
To: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-security@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Changes to traceroute in newest release
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 12:17:24
On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 12:18:42 -0500
Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 11:59:00AM -0500 or thereabouts, David Olsen > wrote: > > Am I the only one that finds the newest changes to traceroute nothing > > but a large inconvenience? > > Well, I can't speak for everyone else, but I certainly find the changes > welcome.
I find the change offensive. It is my system and I want the tools I install to work. There is no excuse for someone thinking they can force me to su every time I want to run traceroute. Of course the fix is obvious - chmod 4755 traceroute. Why isn't this a USE option? I do hope the new traceroute works when set suid unlike another "tool" in common use for looking at network traffic which refuses to run when set suid - I have not tried it yet. michael
-- ---- ---- ---- Michael Reilly michaelr@×××××.com Cisco Systems, Santa Cruz, CA -- gentoo-security@g.o mailing list