From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] System knockout :-(
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2004 17:44:08
1 On Sunday 04 April 2004 18:33, Terje Kvernes wrote:
2 > "Dan Podeanu" <pdan@×××××××××××.net> writes:
3 > > I would never buy a Samsung HDD, as I would never buy an HP switch,
4 > > or an LG mobile phone.
5 >
6 > well, at work we've moved over to Samsung Spinpoint drives. we've
7 > had no losses of around 50 units over the last year. our general
8 > experience is that there is no manufacturer to avoid, except
9 > of course the old 75GXP and 60GXP series from IBM. :-)
10 >
11 > harddrives die, that's what they do. the only question is when, and
12 > that's pretty much a lottery. this is why you have backups and RAID
13 > for important data.
14
15 Actually I think your point is right. Sometimes there are bad batches, but
16 that happens to any manufacturer. That does not change anything about the
17 speed of my orignal 10gb hd though ;-)
18
19 Paul
20
21 ps. I got a faster 40gb version in return that does show no signs of trouble.
24 Paul de Vrieze
25 Gentoo Developer
26 Mail: pauldv@g.o
27 Homepage: http://www.devrieze.net