From: Bart <scarfboy@×××××.com>
To: frank paulsen <frank.paulsen@×××.net>
Cc: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Let's blow the whistle
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 22:22:42
1 On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 15:59:23 +0100, frank paulsen <frank.paulsen@×××.net> wrote:
2 > Bart <scarfboy@×××××.com> writes:
3 >
4 > > *discovers 'reply' doesn't send to the list - for about the sixth time in
5 > > as many months*
6 > > (Can someone please add a reply-to to the list software? It's a pain.)
7 >
8 > http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html
9
10 Okay, I'll use the reply-to-all on gmail. See how it's annoying? I am
11 *not* going to continually do the work of a
12 click-click-select-delete-click every single message because it's
13 against someone's sense of purism.
14
15 Fact: When I reply to a list message, it's meant to go to the list 99%
16 of the time.
17 Educated guess: That's true for most people, any mail client abilities
18 vary. Notably, a minority of us uses elm:)
19
20 The argument that we've taken a feature away is not too valid in this
21 case - if you want to send to the author, you can. It'd be called
22 'reply to all', or 'thinking about what address to use'.
23 In the meantime, my replying to the list isn't replying to the list,
24 and as far as I can remember, this is the only list that does it this
25 way, which makes it counterintuitive, and I don't necessarily ever
26 even notice my mistake.
27
28 I don't think it disturbs threading, and there's little point in
29 accurate tracking of who said who when you have all the mail anyhow.
30 You'll find it easily even if you don't do gmail-laziness.
31
32 It's evil, but as far as I can see, a lesser one, or at least a less
33 annoying one.
34
35 But yeah, whatever, I'll survive. Just don't count on me always replying:)
38 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list