From: aScii <ascii@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] help blocking automated ssh scanning attack script
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 13:49:20
1 On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 07:10:21 -0600
2 "Brian G. Peterson" <brian@×××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Can anyone help me out with a simple log scanning script that could detect the
5 > 'illegal user xxx' strings in /var/log/secure and issue the
6 > "/sbin/iptables -I INPUT -s 221.232.128.2 -j DROP" command to shut these
7 > addresses down.
8
9 you should put ssh on an other port, if you are paranoid you can
10 use port knocking to remove the drop on sshd for your ip
11
12 on the port 22 you can put portsentry in stcp/sudp or simply
13 tcp/udp (consider also atcp and audp) and run the kill command
14 (eg: iptables drop) instead editing hosts.deny (sshd implements it's
15 own tcp wrapper and doesn't use tcpd and hosts files)
18 Francesco 'aScii' Ongaro
19 mail [ascii@×××.it] [ascii@××××××××.com]
20 http [www.ush.it] [www.ush.it/team/ascii] [ascii.ush.it]
21 machines [asciinb.zapto.org] [asciistation.zapto.org]
25 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list