From: "Brian G. Peterson" <brian@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-security] help blocking automated ssh scanning attack script
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 13:10:45
1 I've noticed over the last few months that ssh attack scanning scripts have
2 been proliferating. The scripts attack using a common set of usernames with
3 weak password combinations, and result in a long line of log entries like:
4
5 Nov  6 17:44:18 ethos sshd[3808]: Illegal user test from 211.185.202.3
6 Nov  6 23:06:27 ethos sshd[8521]: Illegal user rolo from 222.47.83.41
7
8 The common usernames are admin root webmaster data rolo guest test patrick
9 iceuser www horde wwwrun cyrus courier www-data irc jane pamela cosmin cip51
10 cip52 sybase oracle mysql master account server henry frank adam george
11 (included here for easier googling on the problem)
12
13 I use the excellent portsentry to detect and shut down IP's that do
14 traditional nmap-style portscans of my machines. This attack script isn't a
15 port scan, so it just shows up in my security log summaries every morning.
16
17 Can anyone help me out with a simple log scanning script that could detect the
18 'illegal user xxx' strings in /var/log/secure and issue the
19 "/sbin/iptables -I INPUT -s 221.232.128.2 -j DROP" command to shut these
20 addresses down.
21
22 The scan volume is up to about two a day on each of my servers, and I'd like
23 to get this crap out of my logs
24
25 Any assistance appreciated: I and many other people would thank anyone who
26 would whip up a script to block this stuff.
27
28 Regards,
29
30 - Brian