From: Bart <scarfboy@×××××.com>
To: Andrew Joyce <joyce@××××××××××××.ca>
Cc: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Let's blow the whistle
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 09:51:01
1 On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 00:01:06 -0500, Andrew Joyce <joyce@××××××××××××.ca> wrote:
2 > Bart wrote:
3 > > *snip
4 > >
5 > > In the end, computers are a tool to make things you want to do work as
6 > > simply as they can. You'll notice most people don't do what's technically
7 > > possible, but what's *simple*. Laziness, Impatience, Hubris, anyone?:)
8 > >
9 > > I agree that this should be a supported client feature - but it isn't.
10 > > Whatever the reason is, it's not going to be resolved, for now it
11 > > clashes with people's intuition, and in many cases will probably make
12 > > people work at something that could be automatic.
13 > >
14 > > *snip
15 >
16 > For reference: http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2369.html
17 >
18 > I agree. Let's screw trying to design and use standards. Every client
19 > should pick and choose how to implement their features so that we can
20 > patchwork all our solutions onto the back-end servers.
21
22 I know, I know. I pretty much agree, even. I don't really like that email's so
23 old that's happening anyow. But in this particular case hardly destroys
24 convention - it arguably adheres to it in this case. And since client support
25 is -not- going to happen, adding a reply-to is the a hack of least resistance
26 solution. What exactly is so evil about it anyway?
27
28 --Bart
31 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list