From: Andrew Joyce <joyce@××××××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Let's blow the whistle
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 05:01:30
1 Bart wrote:
2 > *snip
3 >
4 > In the end, computers are a tool to make things you want to do work as
5 > simply as they can. You'll notice most people don't do what's technically
6 > possible, but what's *simple*. Laziness, Impatience, Hubris, anyone?:)
7 >
8 > I agree that this should be a supported client feature - but it isn't.
9 > Whatever the reason is, it's not going to be resolved, for now it
10 > clashes with people's intuition, and in many cases will probably make
11 > people work at something that could be automatic.
12 >
13 > *snip
14
15 For reference: http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2369.html
16
17 I agree. Let's screw trying to design and use standards. Every client
18 should pick and choose how to implement their features so that we can
19 patchwork all our solutions onto the back-end servers.
20
21 Sometimes it's best to just make things work, but you have to realize
22 that there is also a trade-off to doing this. Somewhere and somehow all
23 these different methods have to converge to get anything done.
24
25 It's hard work to implement all these features, but if the effort isn't
26 made then why should the standards be written at all. We could just ask
27 Microsoft what they intend to implement and then try to reverse engineer
28 it. That would be the path of least resistance towards technology uptake.
29
30 Andrew
33 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list