From: Bart <scarfboy@×××××.com>
To: Anthony Gorecki <anthony@××××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Let's blow the whistle
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 00:57:52
1 lOn Mon, 8 Nov 2004 14:31:44 -0800, Anthony Gorecki
2 <anthony@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Monday 08 November 2004 2:22 pm, Bart wrote:
4 > > Okay, I'll use the reply-to-all on gmail. See how it's annoying? I am
5 > > *not* going to continually do the work of a
6 > > click-click-select-delete-click every single message because it's
7 > > against someone's sense of purism.
8 >
9 > Really, it's very simple: In my case, to reply solely to the author, I press
10 > "R". To reply to the mailing list, I press "L". To reply to everyone
11 > applicable, I press "A". Please don't complain about the fact that your web
12 > based email client isn't functioning like a real email client: it isn't a
13 > real email client.
14
15 There's a simple general test for what we call reality - that which
16 doesn't go away when you stop thinking about it.
17
18 The argument that your specific client (probably a minority client -
19 regardless of how cool it is and how much I would probably think
20 so too if I used it) does have this specific feature work doesn't
21 really help most people, who probably use their client for another
22 feature yours probably doesn't have. Their choice, and no program
23 is perfect.
24
25 Does Outlook have this? Eudora? Thunderbird? Yahoo webmail? Hotmail?
26 Gmail? Kmail? Pine? Mutt? Two or three, perhaps.
27 The rest, which probably summarizes about everyone else, have to learn
28 to go "Oh right, the *gentoo* lists - did I just reply to the author?
29 Shit. Lemme
30 check my sent thing. Right. Copy... Oh, copy address first. Uh. Copy, paste,
31 copy, paste, send with apology to double dude".
32
33 In the end, computers are a tool to make things you want to do work as
34 simply as they can. You'll notice most people don't do what's technically
35 possible, but what's *simple*. Laziness, Impatience, Hubris, anyone?:)
36
37 I agree that this should be a supported client feature - but it isn't.
38 Whatever the reason is, it's not going to be resolved, for now it
39 clashes with people's intuition, and in many cases will probably make
40 people work at something that could be automatic.
43 > Ideally, GMail would read the message headers and would support a
44 > reply-to-list feature, however if it does not, we're not the ones to which
45 > you need to direct your frustrations.
46
47 Ideally, yes. I'ld like that. Practically? I doubt it'll happen, even with
48 gmail's general clean-yet-featured attitude.
49
50 Not frustrated, just explaining my point of view. Now, all the people who
51 will be getting double emails from now on may be. (Laziness, Impat..
52 Er, yeah. Simplest solution.)
53
54 --Bart
57 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list