From: Dan Margolis <krispykringle@g.o>
To: Peter Simons <simons@××××.to>
Cc: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Re: Let's blow the whistle
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 16:16:06
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Peter Simons wrote:
5 > Hans-Werner Hilse writes:
6 >
7 > > But i doubt that you really manage to hack up my BIND,
8 > > place a transparent proxy in my connection to the net or
9 > > convince me to use your fake mirror.
10 >
11 > Step #1: The problem doesn't exist.
12 >
13 > Step #2: The problem may exist, but it isn't exploitable.
14 >
15 > Step #3: The problem may be exploitable, but it is
16 > extremely unlike to happen.
17 >
18 > Step #5: Well, maybe it is a problem, but there are far
19 > more serious problems, so we don't need to fix it.
20 >
21 > Step #6: Even if it were worth fixing, it is way too
22 > difficult to do.
23 >
24 > Step #7: Alright, alright. We will fix it as soon as we
25 > find the time.
26 >
27 > Step #8: Great job, idiot, now that you have drawn attention
28 > the fact that clueless user's machines can be
29 > hacked, it is _your_ fault rather than the ours.
30 >
31 > Step #9: Please download the latest Service Pack.
34 First, as a caveat, this is me speaking as me, not as a Gentoo dev.
35
36 Peter, please try to remember what Kurt said before, that Gentoo is a
37 community-based distro and that there really is no ``them.'' Your
38 mentality seems to be that we're acting as a commercial entity might to
39 try to quash and cover up vulnerabilities that make us look bad. I've
40 only been at Gentoo a relatively short time, but in that time, I've had
41 access to both public and confidential vulnerabilities, and had a chance
42 to witness the Gentoo security process from the inside. That process is
43 designed solely to promote the absolute best security we can offer,
44 never to save face or gain marketshare.
45
46 Perhaps that sounds like a lot of marketing itself, but keep this in
47 mind: if more people use Gentoo, I don't get anything out of it (but
48 perhaps a little personal satisfaction). But if we do things
49 poorly--from a security standpoint--not only do we look stupid, but I
50 and the rest of the team are personally responsible for those who suffer
51 the repurcussions of our mistakes. So we have very little incentive to
52 cover-up a vulnerability, and every incentive to do what we can to
53 promote the best security available.
54
55 So why is this not being acted on? Well, this (in that it's a Portage
56 vulnerability) is somewhat outside the scope of my regular skills, I'll
57 admit. So I can't give you any definitive explanation. But--and I don't
58 mean this to urge you not to publish anything you'd like, as this is
59 already public knowledge--I think you'd do best to trust Kurt's reasons
60 on this. Being a community-supported distro, if every developer is busy
61 on something else of higher priority to him (and of course, we can
62 hardly just hire someone else to fix this), this might languish for a
63 while. And of course, if a user wants to see it fixed, that user can
64 always submit a patch.
65
66 But I'm not clear on what *your* goal is here by making a public stink.
67 It would seem you're trying to encourage the Gentoo Project to fix this,
68 which sounds pretty good and noble. Yet I have to wonder, for the amount
69 of time you're spending on this, couldn't you just write the patch
70 yourself at some point and save a lot of trouble?
71
72 I guess my final point here is to remember that we're just a bunch of
73 guys doing something we enjoy, and hopefully making a product that you
74 and some other people find useful. We aren't making a profit. We aren't
75 Microsoft. We aren't taking your money and then screwing you over behind
76 your backs (uh, metaphorically, of course). So if it seems we're
77 unresponsive, or unhelpful, or don't fix everything you'd like, just try
78 sometimes to be a little more understanding.
79
80 Thanks, Peter,
81 Dan
82
83 - --
84 Dan "KrispyKringle" Margolis
85 Security Coordinator/Audit Project, Gentoo Linux
99 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list