From: Johan Andersson <johan@×××××.net>
To: Anthony Metcalf <anthony.metcalf@×××××××××××.cx>
Cc: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Do I need to rebuild things after upgrading ssl?
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 11:28:27
1 Anthony Metcalf wrote:
2 > On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 11:22:17 +0100
3 > Marc Ballarin <Ballarin.Marc@×××.de> wrote:
7 >>However packages that statically include openssl ("static" useflag)
8 >>contain the version used at build time. Those packages will continue
9 >>working, but remain vulnerable unless rebuilt.
12 > Ok , so to be really annoying, this is the list of installed software
13 > that has the ssl use flag, which if any would need updating? Or how can
14 > I find out?
15 >
16 > dev-lang/python-2.3.3
17 > net-misc/wget-1.9-r2
18 > net-mail/fetchmail-6.2.3
19 > dev-db/mysql-4.0.17
20 > dev-libs/cyrus-sasl-2.1.14
21 > net-nds/openldap-2.1.26
22 > net-mail/postfix-2.0.19
23 > net-libs/libwww-5.4.0-r2
24 > net-libs/c-client-2002e-r2
25 > dev-php/mod_php-4.3.4-r4
26 > dev-php/php-4.3.4-r4
27 > net-www/links-2.1_pre11
28 > net-print/cups-1.1.20
29 > net-mail/mutt-1.5.6
30 > net-misc/ntp-4.1.2
31 > net-fs/samba-2.2.8a
32 > net-www/lynx-2.8.4.1d-r1
33 >
34 > From that I wont bother about client only apps, wget fetchmail etc, but
35 > postfix, cyrus, mod-php, are all internet facing.
36 > I got this list from
37 > # emerge -epDv world | grep +ssl > sslthings.txt
38
39 But there may be packages that doesn't have the ssl useflag set, but
40 instead depend on ssl. To find installed packages depending on openssl, run:
41 qpkg -I -q openssl
42
43 Both lists may contain packages that is not in the other list.
44
45 revdep-rebuld can be used to recompile those that use openssl dynamicly,
46 but not staticly.
47
48 I say we need a new method to keep track of this.
49
50 /Johan Andersson
53 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list