From: Ben Cressey <ben@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] courier-imap
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 12:28:17
1 On Friday, March 26, 2004 at 6:48 , Ned Ludd wrote:
2
3 > Yeah.. We don't provide a vulnerability announcement/assessment service.
4 > We provide updates when they exist. If you would like a vulnerability
5 > announcement service then you should pay. Or simply track the
6 > security@g.o via bugzilla as most us do.
7
8 I don't think that suggesting that I pay for a separate vulnerability
9 service is an appropriate solution. It's not simply that I don't feel like
10 paying; it's that more so than any other distribution, Gentoo has always had
11 a "community" feel, at least from the user's perspective. (I gather the
12 developer side of things is significantly more dictatorial.) Like many of
13 us on this list I have contributed a lot of my time to answering questions
14 in the forums.
15
16 So in that vein it seems there should be a community-based way of handling
17 security fixes. Had this vulnerability been made known two weeks ago, I
18 could have begun testing the unstable ebuild and submitting feedback about
19 it that much earlier. It is not so much the lack of a fix that concerns me,
20 as the lack of any significant discussion of the problem apart from
21 Bugzilla.
22
23 I take pains to keep my server secure. I am frustrated by the illogic of
24 regularly foisting annoying "minor" updates -- like the Perl 5.8.0 -> 5.8.2
25 that is currently plaguing my update process, since I remember what a
26 colossal pain the 5.6.0 -> 5.8.0 transition was -- while at the same time
27 making security fixes highly inaccessible.
28
29 (Sure, delete the perfectly functional perl 5.8.0 ebuilds, but leave the
30 vulnerable courier-imap one in portage. This is the worst of both worlds,
31 in my opinion.)
32
33 This is the first time I've seen the suggestion to track security@g.o
34 via Bugzilla. I will do so in the future.
35
36 Ben
40 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list