From: "A. Khattri" <ajai@××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Comments on IMAP Server (cyrus/courier/dovecot)
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 19:49:50
1 On Thu, 11 Aug 2005, kashani wrote:
2
3 > Well yeah, but what happens when they ssh or ftp to the server? That's
4 > the part I'm confused about. How does vpopmail auth them locally for
5 > things other than mail which goes back to the original question.
6
7 Our shell server and web servers are separate from our mail server but
8 there's no reason you couldn't run this setup on the same server.
9
10 Using libnss-mysql, you can have ssh and ftp also authenticate out of a
11 MySQL database (the same database if you want). And since Pine and mutt on
12 the shell server are configured to use IMAP, shell users can login and
13 check email from there too.
14
15 Basically all of this has allowed us to move to an almost completely
16 virtual setup where ordinary users dont have any "real" system accounts at
17 all.
23 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list