From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Comments on IMAP Server (cyrus/courier/dovecot)
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 20:03:07
1 A. Khattri wrote:
2 > On Thu, 11 Aug 2005, kashani wrote:
3 >
4 >>Well yeah, but what happens when they ssh or ftp to the server? That's
5 >>the part I'm confused about. How does vpopmail auth them locally for
6 >>things other than mail which goes back to the original question.
9 > Our shell server and web servers are separate from our mail server but
10 > there's no reason you couldn't run this setup on the same server.
11 >
12 > Using libnss-mysql, you can have ssh and ftp also authenticate out of a
13 > MySQL database (the same database if you want). And since Pine and mutt on
14 > the shell server are configured to use IMAP, shell users can login and
15 > check email from there too.
16 >
17 > Basically all of this has allowed us to move to an almost completely
18 > virtual setup where ordinary users dont have any "real" system accounts at
19 > all.
20
21 And that isn't option #1 aka, stuff everything in a db and do central
22 auth from there" how? See I'm even loosing sleep just talking about
23 option #1. The rest of you have been warned. :)
24
25 kashani
26 --
27 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list