From: Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng@×××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Comments on IMAP Server (cyrus/courier/dovecot)
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 09:53:14
1 On Thu, 2005-08-11 at 15:00 -0500, kashani wrote:
2 > A. Khattri wrote:
3 > > On Thu, 11 Aug 2005, kashani wrote:
4 > >
5 > >>Well yeah, but what happens when they ssh or ftp to the server? That's
6 > >>the part I'm confused about. How does vpopmail auth them locally for
7 > >>things other than mail which goes back to the original question.
10 > > Our shell server and web servers are separate from our mail server but
11 > > there's no reason you couldn't run this setup on the same server.
12 > >
13 > > Using libnss-mysql, you can have ssh and ftp also authenticate out of a
14 > > MySQL database (the same database if you want). And since Pine and mutt on
15 > > the shell server are configured to use IMAP, shell users can login and
16 > > check email from there too.
17
18 Ah.. I see, since everything is stored in the db, you essentially are
19 using the db to get the passwords. (this is like LDAP and
20 posixAccounts). i would believe that this is also do-able via
21 pam /passwd files, the caveat is then that they have to be on the same
22 server else some rsync jobs to sync the passwords etc.
25 > > Basically all of this has allowed us to move to an almost completely
26 > > virtual setup where ordinary users dont have any "real" system accounts at
27 > > all.
28 >
29 > And that isn't option #1 aka, stuff everything in a db and do central
30 > auth from there" how? See I'm even loosing sleep just talking about
31 > option #1. The rest of you have been warned. :)
32
33 Looking forward to loosing sleep and thinning hair :-)
36 Ow Mun Heng
37 Gentoo/Linux on DELL D600 1.4Ghz 1.5GB RAM
38 98% Microsoft(tm) Free!!
39 Neuromancer 17:51:59 up 2:02, 7 users, load average: 0.58, 0.74, 0.82
43 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list