From: "Sancho2k.net Lists" <lists@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] Re: Gentoo build server (was: deployment server over NFS, feedback)
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 21:01:43
1 Joby Walker said:
2 > Couple things,
3 >
4 > 1) I forgot to mention that currently baselayout cannot be packaged, it
5 > must be "built" on each server. Annoying but not a huge deal, since the
6 > ebuild is mostly file swaping.
7
8 Good to know. Not too big a deal, I guess. What is the reason for this, if
9 I may ask? I see every server of any given particular architecture all
10 having the same "base layout", but I'm sure I'm looking at it at too high
11 a level.
12
13 Assuming that we have a goal for our deployment solution that we must
14 preserve the ability to control package versioning, update source, and
15 centralized build process/source, what is the best way to proceed in a
16 hybrid sort of way? For example, we could perform the initial server build
17 from a stage2 tarball, and for the emerge system afterwards, emerge (up to
18 and including) sys-apps/baselayout from source. Anything after this would
19 be emerged in using -k switch to ensure that uniform builds are obtained
20 from the build server.
21
22 Or perhaps, for the initial emerge system, everything up to
23 sys-apps/baselayout can be emerged from a package, baselayout build
24 locally, and everything afterwards picked up again from packages. I guess
25 I would really appreciate some best practice advice at this point ;)
28 > 2) Not running 'emerge sync' from each server is actually harmful to the
29 > server. You might be able to use 'emerge regen' to mitigate most of
30 > this, but I haven't investigated it that fully (since I switched from
31 > NFS /usr/portage to a BINHOST).
32
33 Any chance you could expand on this more? It's starting to sound like it
34 may be more difficult than expected to maintain a central portage/package
35 source for all of our servers.
38 > 3) The .keep file prevents an emerge clean from deleting an empty
39 > directory.
40 >
41 > Trust me the BINHOST method works much better than /usr/portage shared
42 > over NFS.
43
44 Thanks for this advice. I feel much better about BINHOST than I did NFS
45 anyway.
46
47 Which protocols are supported for BINHOST sources? rsync, http, ftp?
48
49 Thanks for your time.